[haiku] Re: Haiku-web website theme refresh project decision/discussion

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 11:21:17 +0200

Hi,

On 2010-05-21 at 20:04:10 [+0200], Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> >Subject: [haiku-web] Re: Haiku Website Theme : Actions being taken.
> >Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:06:38 -0500
> >From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: <haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >On Fri, 14 May 2010 07:49:13 -0700, "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> All this will not be necessary. Please see:
> >>
> >> //www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Banning-Jorge-G-Mare,30
> >
> > Lets clarify this, legal action was threatened against an open source
> > project and it's non-profit organization.  We are no longer dealing in
> > petty threats and arguments. Even if these threats are retracted (and
> > koki, I (as well as the community I'm sure) appreciate your apology in
> > this matter. There was some harsh stuff said by others towards you that
> > was wrong as well.) it does not change that the organization would be
> > using material of questionable legal status.
>
> After everything has cooled a bit, there has been some discussion of an
> new haiku-os.org theme project in haiku-web. I would like to get a general
> feel for what the community thinks on this topic.
>
> There was emergency alternate theme work occurring (Theme HaikuLove)
> earlier this month due to the legal issues surrounding the existing site
> theme. The latest status of this emergency theme work can be seen here:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/kallisti05/HaikuLove . The large pros of this
> new site theme is clear and defined licensing of all work to Haiku Inc
> under GPL.
>
> Any comments, feedback, discussion etc are greatly appreciated on
> haiku-web. Lets keep it calm though :)

Following Ingo's suggestion and also since I am not subscribed to haiku-web
anymore, I'll reply on this list, if you don't mind. I am sure that on this
particular topic, many people would like to give input even when they are
not subscribed to haiku-web.

As for the theme that you created, I don't know how to say this, but it's
really not my taste at all. I don't like the colors, I don't think the sky
in the background contributes to Haiku being taken seriously enough. And
finally the big round corners feel too simple, and they don't render well in
WebPositive. Due to missing alpha-masks in the BView drawing API,
WebPositive currently uses a hack to draw round corners at all, but it
doesn't work when the box element is partly out of view bounds.

All in all, I like the current theme so much better, and Jorge has withdrawn
his request to remove it on haiku-development and replaced it with an
irrevokable permission to keep using it. Therefor I would personally rather
stick with the current theme and improve that one with new graphics here and
there.

Best regards,
-Stephan