[haiku] Re: Haiku's localization vocabulary guidelines

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:19:13 +0200

Hi there!

Trying to get all the standard menus, buttons and terms to be consistent within
a language
is a necessity. It's just like a multi-language HIG. It's annoying to have
different apps
use, e.g. options, settings, preferences, all for the same sort of panel.

I think, it all hinges on easing corrections. Having people translate words in
a list can
only get you so far. It's a good and necessary first step that will satisfy the
above
mentioned standard terms. What's needed is a thorough test drive of the
application and a
means to update strings, in the best case live. A bit like the project from our
friends at
Auckland University, who experiment with changing the interface layout live by
the user.

If providing a special correction mode in every app isn't feasible, imagine a
translation
tool that has loaded the catalog for an app. Besides editing strings directly
in a list,
you can activate a click2identify mode. With that you can click on any string
of the
interface of the running app, which jumps to the right entry in the catalog. Do
your
changes. Save the catalog. See your improvements in the app. (Mail the improved
catalog to
the app's author.)

How to technically do this, I don't know. Perhaps some scripting: hey
'whatever-I've-clicked-on' get TR_index.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de