[haiku] Re: HaikuBox (think BeBox)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 20:10:43 +0200

hudsonco1@xxxxxxx hudsonco1@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The Loongson MIPS platform is an interesting curiosity but
> probably not a good fit for a HaikuBox. Loongson platform
> is inexpensive but also not very fast and not well supported,
> even by the manufacturer. It is currently single sourced,
> and Haiku does not currently run on the MIPS processor.
>

> Not a good short term solution.

Agreed.

I don't have any experience with Lemote's offerings, but I
have some first-hand experience with the Loongson in the
Gdium notebook which runs Linux (Mandriva?) off a USB stick.
Epic fail IMO. I probably shouldn't blame the CPU though.

In terms of features and performance, it'll take a while for
Loongson to catch up to the MIPS64 leaders Cavium Octeon and
RMI/Netlogic XLR. Granted, those are targetting completely
different market segments and likely cost a heck of a lot more.

About reviving the BeBox as a PC, I'm not sure I see the beauty
of that. People are likely to want to assemble their own specs
anyway, and a PC with LEDs is pretty much just like any other
PC.

More interesting, IMO, and of course seemingly impossible,
would be to find a hardware partner that has interest in making
-new- kinds of hardware that push the envelope in some way where
Haiku (or some user interface evolution or offspring of it) can
provide the magic of the device. (Something beyond just its
simple charms: snappyness, low foot-print and easy design.)

I often daydream about a cross between MacBook Air and an OLPC
XOXO: clamshell, split screen, multitouch, no keyboard, perhaps
with a 360 degree hinge.

/Jonas.