[haiku] Re: Haiku timeline and being released

  • From: Jason McArdle <jasonmm1979@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:36:56 -0400

I guess I'm what you'd call a curious enthusiast. :)

Unfortunately I don't have any programming skills. I've tried my hand at it
numerous times, but I just can't seem to "get it" for whatever reason.

I've tried many different operating systems as I tend to have an aversion
to Windows. Mac OS X is nice, but I'm not a fan of the closed garden aspect
for everything. Linux seems way too fragmented... there are hundreds of
distributions for everything and undocumented changes between
distributions, the kernel can be slightly different between distributions
as well from what I've heard, I've tried a bit of FreeBSD also, and I find
it WAY too complicated and cumbersome. I had a tough enough time just
trying to install the thing!

I remember messing around with BeOS a bit in the late 1990s and I enjoyed
it.

As far as my background goes, I've done a couple Wordpress blogs in the
past. I've also done some bug testing on software for a game company...
offered suggestions and advice on how I think things should look/go. I've
done some social media work and search engine optimization on the internet
as well.

I've always had lots of ideas about various things, but never the skills to
act on anything unfortunately. I've been thinking of some ideas for Haiku
also.

Could Haiku be reworked for mobile devices? I was thinking if it could be
licensed out for various platforms similar to Android. I tend to keep on a
lot of tech news and from what I've heard, Android is starting to become
pretty heavy with viruses and the like. It's just with the way things are
now, I don't see the computer as a very central device anymore. Everyone
(around here anyways) tends to have mobile devices.

Also, why the name change to Haiku? It was originally OpenBeos if I
remember... why was the Haiku name chosen?

That's just a bit of history and things about myself. I'd love to do
anything to help.

Thanks!

Jason