[openbeos] Re: Haiku poster

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:33:28 -0700

Kevin Ar18 wrote:
Why not use one of the CC licenses that is more like Haiku's?
The CC share-alike clause is a copyleft vs Haiku's copycenter license.

Because I personally prefer a copyleft license. :)

Or was the share-alike clause to protect people from re-using Haiku logos and promotional material in ways you didn't want (kinda like
the logo requirements)?

No. As I said in a previous email, I don't own the trademarks. Therefore, I am not in the business of protecting them.

My choice of this license was simple: I wanted to allow others to distribute and modify my work, but under the same spirit of volunteerism that drives me to dedicate my time and effort into this work. Commercial applications do not meet this criteria, which is why I chose the NC license.

Cheers,

Koki

BTW, here are three options that are more Haiku like:
1. CC Attribution license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
2. CC Public domain: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/
3. Or roll your own MIT/Haiku style license with a little copyright and a
free/freedom to use/re-use clause.
The last two would be compatible with incorporating into Haiku code, as if
there were really any text from the promotional fliers that you would want in
code. :)

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:19:03 -0700

Hi,

I have created a (35 x 23 inch) Haiku poster for the community to use at trade shows, conferences, user group meetings or any other events where Haiku has a presence. I have submitted the poster to Haiku for inclusion in the CafePress Haiku Store, and I am awaiting final approval. In the meantime you can see a preview of the poster here:

http://www.myhaiku.org/haiku/poster-landscape-preview.png

There is one aspect of the poster that I would like to change, and that is to show the Pulse app showing multiple CPUs in the screenshot (thanks for the advise, Stippi; very wise;) ). The problem is that I don't have a multi-processor/multi-core. :)

If anyone out there can produce (and email me) a similar screenshot as the one currently used in the poster, but showing Pulse with two or more processors, I would use that in the poster.

BTW, once the artwork is approved and finalized, I will also make the native SVG files available for download, so that the community can translate and/or create derivative works from it.

Cheers,

Koki

Messenger Café — open for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily.
Visit now.
http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_AugWLtagline