[haiku] Re: Haiku package freedom.

  • From: Chris Andrew <cjhandrew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:22:46 +0000

Scott,

Given that licensing can be sooo diverse and complicated, I'm not sure
that this is the best approach. Do you have a sample
.OptionalPackageDescription file, so I can see what it looks like? I'm
going to do a proper Haiku install tomorrow as have just done LiveCD,
so far.  Myself and potentially many many GNU/Linux supporters would
be happy to use Haiku, but the FSF angle has to be sorted.  If we can
sort that now, it should make life much easier.

This is the Package Freedom Verification stuff that I set-up for
gNewsense, although I haven't been involved for a while:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/VerificationTeam/VerificationTeam

This is a good approach, but is only a workaround as GNU/Linux does
not have a flag in the packaging system. It is VERY labour intensive.

We basically need package maintainers to look at:

and confirm that the code they write/ look-after complies.  If so,
then they can give the software a 'yes' flag.

Cheers,

Chris.

--
Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.getgnulinux.org/