[haiku] Re: Haiku package freedom.

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:21:12 -0700

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Chris Andrew <cjhandrew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Having been the Package Freedom Maintainer for gNewsense, I know how big a
> job this is for a team of people (10000+ packages). Some licences are very
> vague, also. It would be script'able if when packages were submitted for
> inclusion in the distro, a flag in the description either said yes or no.
> The individual package maintainer would then have control over this.
>
> It's just an idea, as fairly straight forward to add as a specification now,
> but much more difficult to retro-fit in the future.

In the OptionalPackages and for all of the packages that are build by
HaikuPorts we include an .OptionalPackageDescription file.  In that
file we specify the license that is used.  Perhaps this file could be
read and if the license falls into group A accept it and if not then
don't.  So that flag is aready there, just needs to have a script to
look for the flag.
See this page for details on the .OPD file:
http://www.haiku-os.org/node/2525

-scottmc