[haiku] Re: Haiku on 48 cores?

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:09:27 +0100

I dont know about ffmpeg, but libtheora allows you to specify the number of
threads to do video frame decoding - essentially, there is a pool of decoded
read-ahead frames, and a specific number of threads fill a pool buffer,
which are consumed by the player.  Libtheora has found a sweet spot of 15
read-ahead frames.  For a HD project I worked on (libtheora fills OpenGL
texture buffer), 2 threads were more than adequate at decoding 1920x1080
video without dropped frames.  As a mater of fact, the CPU time spent on
decoding the Theora encoded video (30 frames per second) was so low, that I
was still able to get >3000 fps consistantly with VSYNC off (obviously the
commercial product has VSync On).  Decoding is not a problem (for Theora) -
but with newer codecs, things may change.

Zenja