[haiku] Re: Haiku in undergraduate operating systems course

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:43:11 +0100

Hi Brian!

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 20:20:52 -0600 Brian Hague wrote:
> http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/workshop-filetypes+attributes.html<--
> > my vote

Yes that might work nicely. Esp. when you have a class full of people
that can generate quickly many entries for the database. Then you can
exchange those files (probabaly zipped up to preserve the attributes)
have have some meaningful queries...

The workshop is so old, it says at the beginning Haiku had no
"bookmarkable" browser like Net+. That was back when we only had
BeZilla. Now with Web+ we could actually use a Bookmark file with an
IDMB URL... I'll correct that soon in the text.

If your students are up to it and you'd like to sprinkle a bit of bash
scripting into the course, you could have them construct a HTML page of
the database, using 'catattr' of the various attributes. See Scot
Hacker's TrackerBase [1].
Speaking of Scot, also check out his TipServer [2]. Originally for
BeOS, many tips are still valid for Haiku.

Cool you're planning to do this, Mr. Nuxoll! Please keep us posted and
let us know if you have any questions and how it went!

Regards,
Humdinger

[1] http://betips.net/trackerbase/
[2] http://betips.net/