[openbeos] Re: Haiku image not working?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 11:07:51 +0100 (MET)

"Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/22/06, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I had QEMU going at one point so that I saw any normal printf()
> > from the apps
> > in the emulation in the Terminal that I started QEMU from. I think
> > it was
> > something like --serial=stdio. Maybe someone else can chime in.
> > Might be
> > easier than real serial debugging.
> Yeah I'm using QEMU and that feature, but only actual serial output
> is
> shown. Any printf's inside the QEMU virtual machine go into la la
> land. I've tried redirecting standard out in the Bootscript to a
> file,
> and this works normally but not with whatever problem I have with the
> development app_server.

Oh, that's simple:
1) you could use debug_printf() or _sPrintf() instead of printf() -
that will both be redirected to serial output as well.
2) you could redirect the output from /dev/null to /dev/dprintf in the
boot script (one of the first lines after the functions)

Anyway, does the app_server crash or just lock up? The latter would
hint it's a locking problem. In that case, pressing F12 and use the KDL
can help, too (to see who's waiting for which sem, and who owns it,
...) - just be prepared that benaphore style lockers make this output
harder to interprete.

Bye,
   Axel.