[openbeos] Re: Haiku hdimage

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:06:52 +0200 CEST

Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nathan Sandver asked::
> > The compile problem I had earlier seemed to fix itself after "jam
> > clean" and then re-running makehdimage. So I tried to boot Haiku
> > after
> > makehdimage finished, and now it seems to hang at the pretty logo
> > boot
> > screen.
> >
> > Are there any known problems with booting on multiprocessor
> > systems? I
> > have a dual P-II 400 as my Haiku/BeOS play machine.
> Indeed, Haiku's SMP system support is currently broken. That's a
> known bug.
> Unless you removed one of your Pentium, you can't boot Haiku ATM,
> AFAIK.

SMP support is not only still broken, it's also disabled - Haiku should
boot fine on SMP machines, just like Windows 98 (by utilizing only one
CPU) ;-)
To find out what's going wrong, the best thing you can have right now
is a serial debugging cable. If you don't have that, you currently
can't do much about it, sorry (on-screen debug output will come later
as well).

> This bug will be fixed by R1. BeOS R5 well support SMP systems, so
> it's a
> mandatory feature for Haiku team.

It will definitely be fixed way before R1.

Bye,
   Axel.