[haiku] Re: Haiku going a peaceful "blip" on startup

  • From: "Andrew Hudson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "hudsonco1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:29:28 -0400

>> I see a flaw in the decision process for choosing media extras for Haiku.
>> Let
me explain.

>> When it comes to code, a developer gets to choose the code he/she writes and
commits. When it
.>
>> comes to graphics, sound, etc that is in the interface, everyone feels they
have a right to criticize.

>> The result is that the one person who is contributing the media is faced
>> with
trying to satisfy many
.>
>> critics. This is quite difficult and will have the end result of preventing
any reasonable media at all.

>One person offered, seeing a need, and a person gave an opinion. It
>wasn't an attack on his work, so there's no need to get defensive

Sorry for the delayed response, and apologies that this isn't strictly a
developer issue.

I actually would like to revisit the decision process for approving Haiku
content.
I truly think that Haiku needs more branded, 'up to date' content to improve
it's look
and sound. As Axel pointed out, we don't have an official decision process,
just the
unofficial process that everyone has an opinion.

I have a friend who does 3D graphics professionally, but not for free. I have
worked
with graphic developers in the past and it occurred to me that now might be the
time
to create some basic 3D animations to be used for the next release. The idea
would be
to create a media package with animations to be loaded  and installed
separately from
the release. It would add a little more flavor for people doing evaluations or
just kicking the
tires. It also might inspire other people to create content specifically for
Haiku.

OK, so what is going to happen? I'm going to work with Jason to create a number
of
small sample ideas. He will take the Haiku logo, put it through his creative
process,
and come up with some 'teasers' to start with. We/I take the ones we like and
add more
detail, length, color, etc to them.

I would like to ask permission to use the Haiku logos. I need high res versions
of the
white, blue, and black background versions. I will be paying for this work out
of my pocket
at $30 (US) per hour so it wouldn't be good to get caught in an endless
revision process.
Ultimately the final works will not be used commercially, the copyrights will
go to Haiku, LLC.

How much content will be created? Hard to say at this point. Hopefully 2 or 3
animations
each maybe 30 seconds long. More if the creative process works out well.

Also, if this works out, I have ideas for other content that uses actual
humans. But that comes
later.

Thanks,
Andrew