[haiku] Re: Haiku gcc2hybrid and software for gcc4

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 15:14:55 +0100

David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/11/7 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> When a library becomes usefull, it gets added to the OS.
> > Definitely not. While we care about binary compatibility, other
> > projects don't which means we would need to ensure binary
> > compatibility
> > of foreign projects. Thanks, but no thanks.
> They should not be added on a whim but if we want to grow the
> capabilities of Haiku we will need to include some foreign projects.

That's not the way to go. As Adrien pointed out, creating our own API
to cover the functionality we need to provide is what we should do
instead - whether this then uses a private (maybe even statically
linked) library doesn't matter anymore.

> > Ideally, we would only ship system libraries, and have no other
> > foreign
> > libs in the base install at all. The package manager should take
> > care
> > of the rest.
> We don't have a package manager and my argument is that with a little
> bit of thought we won't need one.

For native apps, it might only add a bit of convenience (like automatic
updates, automatic installation of the tools you want on a new
install), for ported applications, I don't see how any of your
arguments help.

> But clearly you are sold on the idea, so one will be written and we
> will all go through the growing pains of broken installs, uninstalls
> that don't remove everything or remove too much.  Just like all those
> other package managers in Windows and the various linux
> distributions.
>  Users won't mind, they are used to it.
>
> I'll shutup now and you can just put it all down to one of those
> wierd
> ideas David has from time to time after once again telling some stupid
> installer to put everything on his App drive and watching it install
> stuff all over the place.

Of course I'm sold, as it's the only sane solution to the problem. If
we only come close to what we discussed at last BeGeistert, it will
work very differently than other package management systems, though.

Bye,
   Axel.