[haiku] Re: Haiku for Raspberry Pi?

  • From: "Miroslav Stimac" <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:24:40 +0100

Simon Taylor wrote:
> There's a simple framebuffer driver under GPL as part of their kernel
> patch set. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commits/rpi-patches
> As far as the hardware accelerated features are concerned - that's not
> quite as open. AFAIK the kernel-side (and thus GPL) part is just a
> generic message pipe to the VideoCore - the actual GL/video decode/etc
> implementations are probably not open. Eben (project lead) is keen to
> open the GL stack if possible, but that's a call for Broadcom to make,
> and I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Yes, there is a discussion about it here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/off-topic/linux-frame-buffer-driver

JamesH wrote:
"There is a memory mapped frame buffer accessible to the Arm which is used for
the moment as the basic output device, no acceleration. The GPU also has access
and uses this as a basic image to output. On top of that (or underneath – all
images have a Z order) it can then composite the output from the decoder and
the 3D engine (and any other bitmaps it wants, e.g. camera output) – at
whatever resolution (autoscaled) and rotation (in 90deg steps)."

The accelerated video driver sees not to be open source, but I wonder how the
OpenRISC team is going to make a port to the Raspberry Pi. I know that they are
already porting OpenRISC OS to the Raspberry Pi.
Perhaps we could find some information about the drivers there.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/distributions/risc-os-on-raspberry-pi

http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/Raspberry%20Pi%20disc
%20image%20proposals

http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/783