[haiku] Re: Haiku for Raspberry Pi?

  • From: "Miroslav Stimac" <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:48:57 +0100

> Me too!
> Haiku would run light & fast on this micro PC (Linux can't boot on GUI
> mode, IMHO!)... a good test field to see if Haiku is good for embedded
> systems.
>
> Very interesting for my work (railways real time systems), too!
>
> So please go for it :-)
>
> Bye
> fano

Sadly, I am an application developer and not a system developer, so my
knowledge regarding hardware related programming is very limited.
I think that first we need a port of Haiku to ARM.
The Raspberry Pi has a ARM11 processor, that is based on the ARMv6
architecture. So we need a port of the Haiku kernel from x86 (a CISC processor)
to ARMv6 (a RISC processor). This is not easy. A simple recompile of the
existing kernel sources with GCC to the target platform ARMv6 would not be
enough. Several changes in the source codes of the kernel would be necessary.

After that we need a driver for the GPU Broadcom VideoCore IV. Or at least make
sure that VESA works. But a driver would be very important in order to use all
the Broadcom VideoCore IV features, such as OpenGL and OpenVG. The Raspberry is
fast enough to play Full HD movies, but only if we use the GPU for decoding.

Best wishes,
Miroslav Stimac