[haiku] Re: Haiku flier reprint

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:43:53 -0800

Hi Alexandre,

Alexandre Deckner wrote:
Jorge G. Mare wrote:

Please note that we do not stand at a street corner and hand out fliers to everyone that walks by. It's only to those who do come to our booth and that show at least a reasonable degree of interest that we give the fliers to; granted, most fliers will end up in the trash sooner or later (that's unavoidable),

Avoidable is the question i'm asking, i can imagine people coming with a pen and note the url if they are interested!

Not everyone is as eco-conscious as you are. Also, I go to software conferences to try to educate people on Haiku, not eco-friendliness. So, as much as my idealistic side (I do have one too) would like agree with you, in the real world yours a very naive expectation and an inviable approach.

but they do serve a purpose; not much different from people burning a nightly build to CD and then throwing it away if you asked me. :)

Well, i didn't want to disgress on too many subjects, but it's one of reasons i wrote the USB install guide and links on the get-haiku page. When i really need a CD, i use one of the RW i bought a few years ago. It's really a no brainer action without any compromise. I'm not trying to go against any form of material, but at least promote reusability and save a few trees. I was there last year at FOSDEM, and most certainly next time too, and people asked for goodies, i'd be more ok with that, they will less likely go directly to the trash... well debatable :) Also buying a CD as a collector item is ok in my book, but not burning thousands to drop at confs just because everyone is doing it.

USB thumbdrives are no replacement for fliers, because they serve a different purpose and also cost much more.

For an organization as short-funded as Haiku, merchandise is a waste of money. When people pick up merchandise, it's not because they are interested in the product or the brand, nor do they care where it comes from; they just want to take the merchandise home (for themselves, their wifes, their kids, etc.). Bad return on investment IMNSHO.

I'm all for any promotional effort, i'm just looking at the options _we have_, i'm pretty sure that being creative about that might be just another way of being remembered!

Well, feel free to propose a specific alternative that is greener, viable and serves the same purpose as an informational flier. But, please, do it on a separate thread, so that we can stay on topic here. ;)

Cheers!

Jorge/aka Koki