[openbeos] Re: Haiku boot (was: makebootable problem)

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 23:03:06 +0000

> From: "Stefano D'Angelo" <zanga.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2007/05/05 Sat PM 10:51:09 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [openbeos] Haiku boot (was: makebootable problem)
>
> Hi all,
> sorry for keeping on asking you to help me with Haiku, but I want to
> contribute to it somehow and I still couldn't boot it...
> The problem is quite strange: I downloaded an Haiku image, ran mkbfs
> under BeOS MAX/QEMU on a free partition

I use the BeOS DriveSetup app (under preferences) for that - when you
"initialise" the partition to BFS it will ask you for a volume name and
automatically mount it.

>, used the Haiku installer
> under Haiku/QEMU, and then restarted BeOS MAX on QEMU in order to make
> the partition bootable with makebootable.

I don't think the Haiku installer is finished, I certainly would recommend
using it. Instead mount the Haiku image under BeOS with Axel's Mount Image -
http://www.bebits.com/app/3576

Then you can just drag and drop all the stuff from the image to the newly
initialised partition. If you prefer to use a terminal to do the copy, make
sure you use copyattr and not cp, as the latter does not copy the extended BeOS
attributes.

Then do a makebootable on it.

> What's strage about it is that not only I keep on getting the "Error
> try to boot my hard drive under QEMU... it just doesn't boot! (So it
> shouldn't be that I have an AMD64)
> I'm sure that all files have been copied successfully... the only two
> possibly strange things are that BeOS's makebootable keeps on saying
> that my partition "has been successfully made bootable" also if I run
> it several times in a row

That's probably normal.

> and that the volume name is not "Haiku" (as
> when you just dd the haiku image), but it is called "untitled"...

The partition name is set when you initialise the partition to bfs, so won't
necessarily match the image file volume name.

> Am I missing something? Please help me!!!

Hope that helps.

> Stefano

Simon