[openbeos] Re: Haiku at Kansai Open Source Conference 2007

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:24:13 +0900

Hi Sikosis,

Thank for the words of encouragement. :)

I am sorry to dissapoint you, but my webcam seems to be dead, so I will be unable to do the webcast. I will be taking pics and will try to post a report about the event in the the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Koki

Sikosis wrote:
Hi Koki,

Just wanted to say I wish you all the best with the event. At least,
Japan is only 1 hour behind my timezone, so tuning into the webcast
shouldn't be an issue.

Gokouun o inorimasu !

Cheers

Sikosis

On Nov 7, 2007 4:35 PM, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Howdy,

For those interested in seeing what the Kansai Open Source conference
and our Haiku booth will look like at this event, I will be attempting a
short live webcast from Osaka this coming Saturday, Nov. 10. You are all
welcome to join us. Find all the details here:

http://myhaiku.org/interactive-tv/

Please note that my ability to do the webcast will depend on the
networking available on site, and there is a chance that it may not
happen. In that case, I will send out a short email to this list and
post information on my blog to that effect the day before.

Cheers,

Koki

Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) wrote:
Howdy,

I am making a (business & pleasure) trip to Japan in Nov., and since
the timing coincides with the upcoming Kansai Open Source Conference
(Nov. 9 & 10 in Osaka, Japan), I am organizing a presence for Haiku at
the event.

So far I have made arrangements for a Haiku booth, so that Haiku can
be demoed on the exhibit floor, and for a track session, for a general
Haiku presentation. I will also apply for an "on stage presentation"
to do a short 10 minute demo of Haiku.

I have additionally hooked up with a freelance writer to do an
interview in case any (prominent?) Haiku developer(s) come to the
event (potential publications for this interview are Software Design
magazine, UNIX USER magazine or MYCOM Journal).

I have already invited the JPBE.net folks and several Haiku devs to
join me in this event, and I wanted to extend this invitation to all
the Haiku devs as well enthusiasts out there who may want to be part
of this initiative (no, I am not paying for any of your expenses :P ).
Anybody interested, feel free to reply here on the list.

Since a Haiku admin recently wrote on this list that a "request (for
funds) can very well come from an outside source like a mailing list"
(www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/08-2007/msg00121.html), I also
take the liberty to ask Haiku Inc. and/or the admin team to consider
subsidizing at least part of the travel expenses should any Haiku
dev(s) come(s) forward and decide(s) to take fly to Osaka.

Kansai Open Source is held once a year in Osaka, and it draws a crowd
of approximately 1.5K people. The event has booths for both businesses
and volunteer projects, session tracks, on-stage presentations, and
BoFs. I have done the conference once in 2005 with Bruno/BGA and
several JPBE.net folks), and it was a lot of fun. We had a booth,
Bruno gave an OpenBFS presentation (attendance was about 20 people),
and I gave a ZETA demo on stage. You can see few pictures and links to
videos here:

http://www.jpbe.net/news/archives/2004/10/000769.html

You can see a few pics from last year's conference here:

http://bluequartz.org/event/kof2006/index.html
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20061120/254228/?ST=oss&P=2

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Koki