[openbeos] Re: Haiku artwork page

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:43:29 -0700

kamikazow@xxxxxx wrote:
Thom Holwerda wrote:

However, Oxygen icons have the 'nc' clause

"Oxygen icon theme is dual licensed. You may copy it under the Creative
Common Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/> or the GNU Library
General Public License. <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html>"

The Non-Commercial License is just for the preview graphics, but not the
artwork in KDE SVN.

Jorge included a screenshot of Elefants Dream, yet he doesn't give
credit. The very least thing he could do is to mention
http://orange.blender.org/blog/creative-commons-license-2/
Credit for the Haiku icons is also not given (under whatever licese they
may be).

He is also using the trademarked AMD logo, graphics (c) Opera, and the
graphics on BeBits (whoever owns that copyright -- BeBits probably just
"found" them somewhere). So a non-commercial license for those posters
should be a requirement. As long as they are uncommercial, said
companies may say "Remove our graphics", but they won't sue for lost
profits or whatever.

I consider the artwork to be within the scope of fair use, which the CC does not reduce/limit/restrict. See:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Do_Creative_Commons_licenses_affect_fair_use.2C_fair_dealing_or_other_exceptions_to_copyright.3F

Having said that, my choice of non-commercial was actually not legal, but rather intended to foster the spirit of volunteerism.

That posters can only be used commercially if all graphics are replaced
with free content. I suggest a website with public domain content.

Feel free. :)

Cheers,

Koki