[openbeos] Re: Haiku artwork page

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:59:43 -0700

Ivan Vodopiviz wrote:
Sorry for double posting, but I'm having some problems with the Haiku poster:

1) The .ai download link seems to be dead.

Fixed.

2) Inkscape doesn't seem to support EPS.
3) OOo Draw doesn't seem to support EPS files generated with Illustrator 11 (after converting the file, just draws a rectangle with some info about the file like title, creation date and Illustrator version. Not really useful :S

I'll try tomorrow with Xara Xtreme on Linux. Sorry Koki, but I can't afford Illustrator (it's not like it can be of much use for a programmer like me anyway).

It probably won't work.

I started with Inkscape, but it proved to be the wrong tool for the job: export to bitmap did not work for big high resolutions (known bug), there were some text rendering problems, problems with shadows, and the occasional crashes. I love open source software, but I want to focus on producing, not troubleshooting and/or reporting bugs. So I decided to move to Illustrator. :)

From Illustrator, I can save to SVG; but when opening the SVG in Inkscape, you get a document that is far from the original: font names are not converted, the character kerning is wrong and visually incorrect, the screenshot is gone, etc..

There is also a chance that you don't have the fonts that I used in the flyer and/or poster. Plus tweaks here and there will also be needed, as translations usually result in text of different length (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer).

All in all, it may just be easier and better if you sent me the Spanish text and I plugged it into the artwork to create Spanish versions of the flyer/poster for you.

Cheers,

Koki

On 9/6/07, *Ivan Vodopiviz* <merkoth@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:merkoth@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi all,

    I plan to translate the wallpaper/flyers/everything regarding the
    artwork to spanish as soon as I have some spare time. But I have a
    question:

    Taking the wallpaper as an example, should I translate the
    "Operating System" string when its located right after the Haiku
    logo? In spanish, I should translate it to Sistema Operativo, so it
    would be "Haiku SO", and could lead to confusion with the website
    URL (Haiku SO <--> haiku-os.org <http://haiku-os.org>). Should I
    keep it in english?

    And nice work Koki :)

    Cheers,

    On 8/30/07, *Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a . Koki)* <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Howdy,

        With the purpose of helping the community give exposure and promote
        Haiku at community events, open source conferences, trade shows,
        user
        group meetings and other similar events (and just for the fun of it
        too), I have setup the following page to make available for download
        Haiku-related promotional material:

        http://myhaiku.org/haiku-related-artwork

        At the moment, the page contains the Haiku flyer that was put
        together
        for FalterCon and the Haiku poster recently circulated in this
        mailing
        list. More will be gradually added as it becomes available.

        All the artwork in this page is released under a Creative Commons
        Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 license, so feel free
        to share
        and remix provided that you follow the conditions of the CC license:

        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
        <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/>

        Also, if you create derivatives, I would appreciate if you let
        me know,
        so that I can link to your work (or I can post it on my blog;
        your choice).

        Translations are also welcome and encouraged. All the graphics are
        available in SVG format, so they can be easily edited any vector
        graphics editor. Alternatively, I could do the editing for you,
        provided
        that you send me all the translated text.

        BTW, the Haiku poster will be available on the Haiku Store at
        CafePress,
        hopefully some time next week.

        Cheers,

        Koki