[haiku] Re: Haiku and raising money?

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 15:35:49 +0200

Hi Jason!

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:29:34 -0400 Jason McArdle wrote:
> I know that Haiku wants donations. Is the HaikuOS on kickstarter?
>
> That may be a way to get a good deal of money :)

There have been a few discussions about kickstarter on the website's
forum. You may want to have a look what other users have to say on that
topic.

I think our main problem is the shortage of capable developers in the
project, or better, their lack of time for such work. Other kickstarter
projects, like for a short movie or a book, have all that's needed
ready on hand or easily recrutable. All they lack is money. Haiku OTOH
has a bit of money through donations, but lacks the devs to put it to
work. Or actually, the devs find just seldom enough time, so the donated
money suffices... :)

Would the situation change if suddenly there were 100.000 EUR thru
kickstarter?
Maybe. But would people spend this amount of money if we can only hope
to find the necessary devs for the project? Can anyone make such an
enticing kickstarter page that people donate for an open source OS and
who not already know about Haiku and donate at Haiku Inc.?

Maybe we could push Ingo's and Oliver's contracting projects [1] onto
kickstarter and see how it fares. OTOH, asking for money for a project
that is already financed and planned to be executed doesn't feel to be
a legitimate kickstarter project...

Regards,
Humdinger

[1] http://www.haiku-os.org/news/2012-08-20_two_contractors_each_two_months