[openbeos] Re: Haiku and MidiOxygen44

  • From: "Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:04:24 +0100 BST

> I know that this can be a problem, but if the USB interface
> timestamps the midi events there is less jitter on the input. The
> Steinberg Midiex8 uses something like this.

Is this the reason behind the MO44 using its own protocol?

The concern with timestamping is that it doesn't help much when the
PC is processing incoming MIDI data in realtime, and usually sending
it out again. The buffering would incur a latency somewhere in the
millisecond range.

So it seems like a good idea to focus on getting the lowest jitter
I/O possible, which then allows the excellent timing of BeOS / Haiku
(jitter around 20 microseconds) to be utilized to its fullest.

It's a pity Firewire MIDI interfaces aren't more common; as a proper
bus, I imagine it has the potential to deliver pretty good results...

Oh, completely OT (but not really justifying a new thread), but has
anyone hit any problems making very large files on BFS partitions,
under BeOS or Haiku? I've just been trying to make some 100GB files
in R5, and it fails between 33-35GB (varies) with "no space left on
device". Making multiple 30GB files works fine though.
Pretty strange, especially the way it varies slightly...