[openbeos] Re: Haiku and MidiOxygen44

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:45:29 +0200

Hi Thomas

> As a BeOS lover I watched the development process of Haiku a bit. I
> just
> installed Haiku on my Sony VAIO PCG-Z1RA.
> Works pretty good. Thanks to all the developers making this possible.

That's always nice to hear.

> The only problem I have is distorted sound out of the AC 97 sound
> chip. The
> R5 driver from BeBits works ok under BeOS R5.

I suppose Jerome would be the one you should ask about that. It would
probably be easiest to file a bug report at http://dev.haiku-os.org/ as
I think he is intending to hunt down invalid register access anyway.

> I also wanted to see if I can get my MidiOxygen44 running. I tried
> the R5
> driver with no success.

What kind of driver is that? Most BeOS drivers should work under Haiku,
but without more details it is difficult to assist here.

> It goes to KDL at boot time  when the usb_rawgw driver is installed.

I saw the application listing on BeBits states that it uses a modified
version of the original usb_raw driver. If this is indeed the case and
the developer did not remove the undocumented hacks to read USB device
names (prominently marked with "WARNING -- this structure is used to
expose private data belonging to the USB Bus Manager. DO NOT MODIFY
CONTENTS.  This is a BAD HACK and will go away.") I see no real chance
of this not crashing. While the USB API has stayed the same, so that
USB drivers written for the R5 (v2) or even Dano (v3) USB stack will
work, the inner workings of the bus_manager, including those private
fields, have obviously changed. Sadly I see that there are no sources
available to check that or adapt it to Haiku, so this is likely not
going to work under Haiku, or under R5 using the Haiku USB stack.

> Does anybody know if the R5 will work or a completely new driver has
> to be
> written?

If that usb_rawgw driver is necessary for that and the sources aren't
available I am afraid that a new driver would have to be written. If
the sources are or become available, it should be pretty easy to adapt
them for Haiku and get it working.

Regards
Michael