[openbeos] Re: Haiku and Media Files

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:51:33 -0700

Hi David,

David McPaul wrote:
Heya,

Something to think about.

I noticed in the debate about creating a haiku demo set of files that
VLC seems to be the preferred player to demonstrate haiku.

Certainly having a port of VLC is a good thing.  However, Haiku liek
BeOS has a built in Media framework that the MediaPlayer uses and this
is what we should look at showing off.

I can only talk for myself, but when doing demos at conferences, I use the Media Player as much as I can; in fact, my demo package always includes video files that I know the Media Player can handle.

I do show VLC as well, but more in the context of one of the multi-platform apps available in Haiku.

Now, I don't believe the media framework is ready BUT I am concerned
that no-one is using it and so bugs are not being discovered and
reported.

Right now we have most media formats covered (avi, mov, mp4, mkv) but
we are missing a number of decoders (h264, aac)

So demo that VLC is available under Haiku if you must.
But also test MediaPlayer and raise bug reports.

Also be prepared to make the file available for our own testing.

To be able to post meaningful bug reports, could you please explain those of us who are not that familiar with all the innards of video file formats what kind of information you would need and how that information can be obtained?

For example, let's say that I have an AVI file that the Media Player will not play; the player will show an error message or perhaps crash, in which case one can post the error message or a backtrace from the debugger. Is that good enough information, or do you need more specifics beyond "it's an AVI file" for you to debug? If you need more info about the file, how can this info be obtained?

IOW, it would be nice and helpful to have a "How to report Media Player bugs" that we users could follow.

Cheers,

Koki