[openbeos] Re: Haiku, Virtual PC 2007, and networking

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <obos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:05:35 -0700

Axel Dörfler wrote:
It wouldn't under BONE if there is no driver called "de" :-)
Have you done a "ls /dev/net/" to see what drivers are available, if any?
Naturally. :-) Actually, I think that BONE used the tulip driver on my older PC which also used a DEC chipset, but I think it's a completely different chip. I think only a raw device was showing up under /dev/net/ , otherwise it would have been very simple to use ifconfig to configure the device. Or so I choose to believe... ;-)
If there is a driver, Haiku would try to use DHCP to configure the card, though, and that works fine in Qemu and VMware.

There may not be a compatible driver then. But... (continued below)
I've added the early Network preferences application to the image in r22028; that might help you. Is it possible to choose which card VirtualPC emulates? If not, you still have the option of copying whatever driver BeOS is using.
I'm looking forward to the app. Unfortunately, Virtual PC doesn't allow you to choose the emulation, and it's even possible that it's allowing the virtualized OS to access the real hardware to enhance the virtualization speed. I'm using an NVidia nForce 430B chipset motherboard (Asus M2NBP-VM CSM), and I'm not sure if NVidia is using their own ethernet chips or someone else's (such as DEC). When I get home tonight, I'll try dropping the drivers from BeOS Max into the Haiku installation and see what happens. I'll post the results.

Thanks,
Raymond

--
Raymond C. Rodgers