[openbeos] Haiku, Virtual PC 2007, and networking

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <obos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:03:03 -0700

I've been running BeOS Max under Virtual PC 2007 for a little more than a month now, and have had no problems communicating with the outside world through net_server in it. (Well, it's been extremely slow, but I can forgive that given that it is running in a virtualized environment.) I've also been able to get Haiku to boot in the same virtualized environment on a second virtual hard disk, and I've been pleased that in many ways it seems to be superior to BeOS Max. (I'm not out to start a flame war though.) However, the one drawback is that the network device isn't configured, and I haven't been able to figure out how to get it recognized.

I've been tinkering with ifconfig, guessing at what the device name might be without any success. I'm not in front of that computer at the moment, so I can't tell you exactly what the ethernet device detected is, but I believe under linux on similar virtual boxes the DEC "de" driver is used. Trying to configure it under Haiku with "ifconfig /dev/net/de/0 192.168.0.10" didn't seem to work like it might have under Bone.

Has anyone gotten the networking working under Virtual PC 2007? If so, do you have any tips for me?

Thank you,
Raymond

--
Raymond C. Rodgers