[openbeos] Re: Haiku VMware video driver in BeOS 5 PE?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:24:21 +0100 CET

> I believe he's referring to the feature of BeOS R5 PE where it
> installed a
> 500mb image.be onto a FAT (or NTFS) Windows partition and along with
> a boot
> disk (or some interesting autoexec.bat boot trickery for Win9x users)
> it
> would find and mount that image.be file as the /boot partition off
> the host
> partition.

This requires support for it in the bootloader (zbeos). It must support
reading fat32, getting the extends from the image file, and an fmap
driver to publish it as a partition.
I just started adding fat support but don't have the time.

> I (and others) were thinking this might even be a neat trick to use
> for
> mounting a BFS image file from LiveCD off of ISO9660/El Torito disc
> prevent the "dreaded" 2-track burning situation when distributing a
> BeOS/Haiku Live/Install cd in the future.  Is that possible?  It sure
> would
> make it easier to distribute a single burnable ISO in the future.

Another option is to implement an fs filter API to have a module to
publish attributes from hidden files from the folder, that'd add attrs
on any fs.
But it's quite some work.

François.