[haiku] Re: Haiku User Guide

  • From: David Himelright <david.himelright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:58:49 -0400

I've done a bit of work looking into foss tools for other projects, and as
far as document translation is concerned, OmegaT+ is a pretty decent
starting point. However it's a desktop application, the translation base is
managed locally, the parser is limited, and the fuzzy matching is sketchy.
It also requires OOo, or a document base standardized on .odt files.
However, with open document format, we are talking about xml, and that's
easily transformed.

On the web side, I've only seen .po editing systems and multilingual wikis.
Can't go wrong with mediawiki for user contributed content, but for
translations it's not a complete solution. OmegaT+ has a decent user
interface for a document workflow, but again, version control isn't
integrated.

You'd kind of hope to see a versioned source document structure, without
presuming a single language source document base, with branches for
translations, and then an auditing tool that's as nice as some of the
application localization tools for completeness metrics. I wouldn't try to
get away from svn for document revisions, there always needs to be a
versioned, canonical, source language document or there's no way to come up
with metrics for the translations.

I'm going to guess that aside from software localization, a lot of the stuff
in the wild is ad hoc, as with your wikipedias, et al.

My $0.02

~David