[haiku] Re: Haiku User Guide

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:00:08 -0700

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Humdinger<humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Urias McCullough wrote:
>>
>> Also, looking at Wikipedia, I'm kind of curious what method they use
>> to "translate" pages to other languages.
>>
>> For example, if you browse here:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_(operating_system)
>>
>> You see the sidebar on the left shows a bunch of language translations
>> of that page.
>
> By comparing the first paragraph of the English version to the German
> version, I can say that they are not identical. So how do they transmit
> changes to all languages and make sure all are up to date?
> I guess they just don't or they don't care if they aren't.
> But an informal wiki about everything isn't the same as a specific official
> multi-lanuage Haiku user guide. :)

Ah right, I always forget if we're talking specifically about the user
guide, or about general website content, this is where I always get
confused. IMO, a user guide should be kept in a format that can be
converted easily to any of various formats - text, html, pdf, etc. The
HTML version would not rely on any server software to present it the
user, but instead be a series of documents with relative links to
itself so that it can reside on someone's disk and be referenced as
needed. In this case, we definitely want to keep the content in source
control and build/distribute it with the OS right?

Tutorials, How-to's, and other "community-contributed" content, on the
other hand, probably fits better on a website and stored in a
database. I would not bother trying to source control this type of
content, but preferably provide some way for people to translate it
still.

So, is PO and Pootle a bad choice?