[haiku] Re: Haiku R1 alpha1 does not work on Intel 830MG

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:04:25 -0500

Eguchi Satoshi wrote:
The video drivers compare the vendor ID and the chipset ID to decide if the
chip is supported by the driver.  The chipset ID of the 830GM is in the list
of chips supported by the intel_extreme driver.

With screen debug mode, I obtain the following messages:
---
intel_extreme: (0) i830GM, revision  = 0x4
intel_extreme: publish_devices()
intel_extreme: find_device()
loaded driver /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/graphics/intel_extreme
Radeon - init_hardware: Version: 5.1.6.0
Radeon - Radeon_CardDetect: no supported devices found
S3: init_hardware() - no supported devices
vesa: init_hardware()
vesa: init_driver()
vesa: publish_devices()
vesa: find_device()
load driver /boot/system/add-ones/kernel/drivers/dev/graphics/vesa
intel_extreme: open(name = graphics/intel_extreme_00200)
intel_gart: Use GTT addtess fallback.
intel_gart: detected 1 MB of stolen memory, aperture size 128 MB, GTT
size 128 KB
allocate MTRR slot 4, base = e8000000, length = 8000000, type=0x1
AGP: create memory 0x81dd3c48, base 88000000, size 10000, flags 0
AGP: allocation is mode of reserved memory
AGP: reserved memory already bound
i965 quirk
AGP: create memory 0x81dd3c60, base 880ff000, size 1000, flags 2
AGP: allocate 4096 bytes out of 4096
AGP: bind 4096 bytes at 880ff000
intel_extremeintel_extreme_init() completed successfully!
intel_extreme: accelerant: intel_extreme.accelerant
AGP: create memory 0x81ddf6f0, base 88100000, size 300000, flags 0
AGP: allocate 3145728 bytes out of 3145728
AGP: bind 2145728 bytes at 88100000
---
and the PC gets freezed.

What can I do for your debugging?

Since the paragraph at the beginning of this message is from a message that I wrote in reply to one of your messages, I feel that I should reply to this message.

Although I wrote the ATI and S3 video drivers, I have very little experience with the intel_extreme driver; and do not feel that I can solve this problem - especially since I do not have a computer with an Intel 830GM chip.

Actually, the ATI driver I wrote uses VESA code to set the video mode for laptop computers when connected to the laptop's LCD display since I was never able to get the adapted X windows code to work properly for the laptop video chips when the chip is connected to the laptop's LCD display. Consequently, I feel you should use the VESA video driver on your laptop if it works properly. The VESA driver does not allow the refresh rate to be set, but for the laptop's LCD display it is probably set to the correct refresh rate.

BTW, what is the make and model of your laptop computer.

-- Gerald