[haiku] Haiku PowerPC network booting now working.

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:02:52 -0600

The booting of the Haiku kernel is now successful due to the awesome PPC
patches by Andreas Färber.  Although the kernel skips to the kdebug prompt
pretty quickly, it is at least in memory and running which means
troubleshooting PowerPC arch issues is now easier.  I think this is the
first time in 2+ years the PPC kernel has seen the light of day.

Keep in mind this does not mean you will see a working Haiku-PowerPC
desktop anytime soon.. it just means that debugging is that much easier. :)

The PowerPC Kernel can now be completely booted via the network on real
hardware by using the remote_disk functionality (the code was already there
thanks to Ingo? but not documented).  I've added the steps to getting
PowerPC booted over the network to my Haiku-PowerPC page here:
http://unixzen.com/guides/haiku/haiku-powerpc/

Before ending this email I should note that PPC is a very small portion of
Haiku, x86 is the main darling of the project and am in no way saying that
everyone should drop what they are doing and start working on PowerPC
stuff... although that would be nice :P

Carry On.

  -- Alex