[openbeos] Haiku PXE boot information

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:45:38 +0100 (CET)

Haiku PXE boot is now able to load and execute the kernel,
however as it doesn't mount a boot device yet, it will end
with a PANIC.

In case anyone also wants to work on this, I made a small howto.

You need a network card BIOS that supports booting by PXE,
but most modern cards do that.

First you need to setup a TFTP and DHPC server (not the client)

With Ubuntu, I used the following packages:

tftpd-hpa
dhcp3-server
xinetd

On my LAN, 10.0.0.1 is the gateway router and DHCP server, the computers are
configured to use static IPs ins the range 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.100

Configure /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf, i used:

option domain-name "internal.overhagen.de";
option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
authoritative;
log-facility local7;

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 10.0.0.200 10.0.0.250;
  filename "pxehaiku";
}

Create a /tftpboot directory

Create a file called tftp inside directory /etc/xinitd.d with the following
content:

service tftp
{
        disable = no
        socket_type = dgram
        protocol = udp
        wait = yes
        user = root
        server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args = -vvv -s /tftpboot
}

start / restart dhcp3 server and xinetd server.

cd /develop/haiku or wherever you haiku is located, and execute the following:

TARGET_BOOT_PLATFORM=pxe_ia32 jam pxehaiku-loader
TARGET_BOOT_PLATFORM=pxe_ia32 jam pxehaiku
jam remote_disk_server
jam haiku-image

cp generated/objects/haiku/x86/release/system/boot/pxehaiku-loader /tftpboot/
cp generated/objects/haiku/x86/release/system/boot/platform/pxe_ia32/pxehaiku
/tftpboot/

Run the remote disk server:

generated/objects/linux/x86/release/tools/remote_disk_server/remote_disk_server
generated/haiku.image

Setup the BIOS on the client machine to use PXE booting from LAN, and restart
it.

hth
Marcus

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT JETZT bei Arcor: günstig
und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket für clevere Doppel-Sparer,
nur  44,85 ?  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2