[haiku] Re: Haiku Installer: "Write Boot Sector to Haiku" button

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:23:45 +0200

Truls Becken schrieb:
Alexandre Deckner wrote:

I'd just rename it to "Make partition bootable" or even put that only
in DriveSetup as it's not clear here what part of the disk it touches.
Something nice would be for DriveSetup to show the bootable status of a
partition.

I agree that the button should not be in the installer at all since
you actually don't need it when installing. If you need to repair a
boot record, DriveSetup is the logical place to look. In this context,
"Make partition bootable" sounds good.

Hm, it could make sense to move this into DriveSetup. However "Make partition bootable" is just not the whole thruth from a user's perspective. As a user, I would expect the button to take any step necessary to make the partition actually bootable. Like including it in a GRUB configuration on a Linux install which happens to be on the same computer. Or modifying the boot menu of a windows installation. Maybe "Write boot sector" is not the best wording either, but at least it is very precise about what it does or doesn't do. In my source tree, I added tool tips for those buttons, but I cannot commit anything until the weekend.

Best regards,
-Stephan