[openbeos] Re: Haiku Icon set ...

  • From: John Drinkwater <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:06:48 +0000

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 2007-02-26 at 23:00:52 [+0100], Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Below is Johns mail, somewhat more reader friendly...

Oops, sorry about that. They're dragging their feet while looking into the cause.

Just a quick nit-pick, SVG allows you to re-use paths, shapes, and
styles. The only thing it doesn't do is the zoom-based visibility.
Which could quite easily be an extension added by Haiku (in our own
namespace, and then proposed to the SVG peeps).

There're several reasons why Stephan designed HVIF in the first place. And that was not because of a single feature SVG misses (I actually wouldn't be surprised, if SVG does already support the particular feature you mentioned). HVIF is geared to icons. It beats even compressed SVG in size by a significant factor (which is of relevance since the icon ends up in BFS attribute) and has several features that allow the designer to make even a small icon look crisp. I'm no expert in this area, but I'm sure Stephan, who's still traveling for another month, will happily explain it to you in greater detail when he's back.

I completely understand the decision for HVI, it would make no sense to store SVG in a file's attr. But lets not forget there is only one use for HVI: as a quicker-loading and better-compressed binary version of a vector graphic.

I'm raising the point, because I think everyone failed to see Begasus' regarding "interoperability". Begasus is hoping he can bring his SVGs onto Haiku, and that can be done already via importing, but he cant import something without needing to dig around in Icon-o-matic. He also can't export a HVI (via SVG) without losing something in the process.

If he could happily create an SVG on any platform or application of choice, add the custom zoom info, then one can make a full HVI without needing Haiku & Icon-O-Matic.

We'll find artists that join Haiku are happier with their own tools (even Wonderbrush) for creating these things, why not help them?

I hope Stephan can say if it's possible.

Cheers,
  John

nb:
Am I just being awkward? Do I worry more about outsiders joining Haiku than others? Is that previous question slightly egotistical?

--
John ‘[Beta]’ Drinkwater        |       john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://johndrinkwater.name/     |