[openbeos] Re: Haiku Icon set ...

  • From: Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:00:52 +0100

Below is Johns mail, somewhat more reader friendly...

On 2007-02-26 at 21:39:15 [+0100], John Drinkwater <jdrinkwater@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 26/02/07, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
> > Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:48:03 +0100 CET
> > To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [openbeos] Re: Haiku Icon set ...

> > > I don't understand the problem you're having here - Icon-o-Matic can
> > > import SVGs and save as HVI icons.
> > >

> > Good to know, doing so from command line would be handy as well.
> > I guess if there is a translator we should be able to use translate.
> >
> > François.
>
> The problem is the HVIF uses concepts that don't appear in other formats
like SVG in order to reduce the size - reusing paths and shapes for example.
That is also why Icon-O-Matic is not a simple vector drawing application.

Just a quick nit-pick, SVG allows you to re-use paths, shapes, and
styles. The only thing it doesn't do is the zoom-based visibility.
Which could quite easily be an extension added by Haiku (in our own
namespace, and then proposed to the SVG peeps).

> One could automatically translate SVG to HVIF I suppose, with one new path
for everything drawn, but really Haiku icons should be tweaked for HVIF, and
that's why having the import into Icon-O-Matic, tweak to best use the reuse
features of HVIF, and then save out as HVIF, is the best approach IMHO.

Tweaking should be encouraged for anyone making a set of icons, but
home users wanting to replace an icon should just be able to inject an
SVG, and it just work.

All imho ;)

--
John '[Beta]' Drinkwater