[haiku] Re: Haiku IA-64?

  • From: MG <marcogb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 01:52:08 +0100

Thank you for your replies. I'll take the opportunity to reply to you both, if you don't mind.

To put it crudely, you don't appear to be very well informed. That's fine, these systems are not exactly ‘ordinary’ or very ‘common’ and are mostly geared towards highly specialized, mission critical, operating environments (along with matching price-tags). It's also true that IA-64 ‘died,’ to some extent, but mostly in the workstation market. Heavily CLI-driven operating systems, such as OpenVMS, weren't affected by these changes in the market. Through F/OSS support, custom graphics adapters will be available (like under Linux, for example), along with official support for integrated graphics devices in remote/network
management hardware (like HP's “iLO”, Oracle/Sun's “ILOM” and so on).

For example, HP still sells IA-64 systems. HP has the Integrity line of systems. They sell them notably for HP-UX, ever since abandoning the PA-RISC (HPPA) processor architecture, including their new virtualization solutions that are built upon it. Besides HP-UX, they also cater to those demanding extreme levels of redundancy and reliability, running OpenVMS and NonStop. Many banks, stock markets, manufacturing facilities, flight/air traffic control centers, militaries and so on won't be abandoning such systems anytime soon, as the clustering capabilities of OpenVMS are still extremely good, along with a superb reputation
when it comes to security.

However, on auction sites you will find Dell, IBM, HP and even SGI systems for good deals occasionally. You'd also be surprised with how much power some of the much older IA-64
systems still pack!

Whether it'll be worth it to port Haiku for IA-64, you ask? Now, that I do find to be a better, if not good (and legitimate), question! I'm going to have to answer that with a question of my own: In what way could it possibly hurt? My message was a call to IA-64 system/hardware owners and enthusiasts, not a business proposition. After all, this is a
F/OSS project, isn't it?

Kind regards,

MG
http://mgcorner.dyndns.info

P.S.: To all interested or even willing to help me, please contact me at:
<emgee [AT] deathrow [DOT] vistech [DOT] net>

On 20-12-2010 20:54, hudsonco1@xxxxxxx wrote:
IA-64 is slowly being phased out. Porting Haiku to it would involve using the IA-64 compiler firstly. It could actually be an interesting project. And might not be so difficult given that the hybrid kernel is not such a large code base. I could see a scenario where this could become a Master's or PhD thesis project. Possibly even funded by Intel.

It is unlikely that current members of the Haiku project would take this on. But there are plenty of university
students who could use a good project like this.

- Andrew