[haiku] Haiku & Google Code-In: Help Needed

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:35:58 -0700

Target audience: EVERYBODY in the project, from translators to
developers to testers

Special message from the Google Summer of Code mentor summit by Scott
and Niels. Haiku is invited to apply for the Google Code-in program.
This program is targeted at 13-18 year old high school students and
invites them in a contest setting to fulfill tasks for a range of open
source projects. This is actually the second edition of their 2007
program with the name 'The Google Highly Open Participation Contest.'
[1] Google wants to work with the organizations they know and
therefore asked us to participate.

Our question to you now is: can you help us think of ideas (for our
application), and who are willing to help us if we actually get in the
program?

In short:
* Please have a look at the FAQ [2] for full details.
* 13-18 year old high school students
* Contest
* Small tasks: things that could be done in hours or one or two days
(maybe a week max). NOT summer of code type of programs.
* The difficulty of the tasks range from easy to hard. They will be ranked.
* For the students: $100 per three finished tasks, and a grand prize
for any of them who collects the most points (hence task ranking)
* Program runs from November through January 10th.
* These tasks are NOT limited to development, but can also be in
documentation, translation, outreach, quality assurance, research and
users interface tasks. Scott and I are hoping that for most of these
areas, one of our contributors is willing to think about what tasks we
could generate.

The application process is roughly the same as for the Google Summer
of Code, as in that we have to apply with a web page that gives an
overview of the tasks.

Help us out here!

Scott & Niels

[1] http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/