[haiku] Re: Haiku Files - Binary Diffs

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:25:07 -0400

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I created a new enhancement ticket.
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4637
>
> I believe it is a really good idea & should be implemented
> sooner rather than later.
>
> I did testing with binary diffs & xdelta and found that it is
> possible to create & offer binary diffs.  Works for ISOs
> and should work with RAW & VMDK images too.

I had looked at binary diff technology many years ago and it was
brought up more recently because that is what Google Chrome uses for
their updates (though they have made it even better by taking
advantage of knowledge about executable files [1].)

Thanks for doing the testing, that is good to know regarding the
difference between bsdiff and xdelta.

While offering binary diffs for updated alpha images might be nice as
a temporary measure, I think long term we will want a more
fine-grained updating system that can update individual components
inside a running Haiku system. This will likely use binary diffing too
(and maybe Google Chrome's Courgette system.)

I was planning on experimenting some with binary updating for the new
web browser, but I'm not even close to that point yet.

I think it would be reasonable to start planning a Haiku update system
to be released with alpha 2. But obviously that is up to the rest of
the Haiku developers, though if I get something working with the
browser it would make things easier.

Footnotes:
1. http://blog.chromium.org/2009/07/smaller-is-faster-and-safer-too.html

--