[openbeos] Re: Haiku Documentation

  • From: Miguel Zúñiga <mzuniga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:17:07 -0500

Just to review:

> "Axel Dörfler" wrote:
> But I wished you had asked before doing all
> this work: what you did had been done by our famous and probably
> completely vanished documentation group before (more or less) - the
> problem is that the BeBook is a copyrighted text, and we cannot just
> use it like this.
> I'm afraid we have to recreate it as is, by having a look at our
> implementation.

The original, international and famous Haiku Documentation Team is (at least
it was a year ago) in two fronts. The first one "translated" the BeBook to
Docbook XML format, and the second front was subdivided in order to
translate the BeBook to several languages.

The first front made a good I joined the DocTeam 2 years ago, and half a
year later we were told to translate the BeBook, in our case, to Spanish. Me
myself completed 39.4% of that translation, and as I was having it, I was
sending it to Jeffery Biss (the DocTeam leader). But on April 2004 the link
to the DocTeam broke, and the last mail I got from Jeff was on November 5th,
2004, saying:

From: "Jeffery Biss"
Subject: It looks like we start over!
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:17:15 -0600

> "Jeffery Biss" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I received an email from Michael Phipps stating that due to
> copyright conerns, the HaikuBook cannot use the BeBook as a
> baseline, we must do our API guide from scratch. This means that we
> will have to either:
>
> - Redesign the HaikuBook so that it does not resemble the BeBook
> and therefore does not infringe on any copyright
> - Create a Haiku Addendum to the existing BeBook that explains the
> differences between the Be and Haiku APIs.

Finally, I don't remember who in the DocTeam told to wait and do no more
translations from the BeBook till the project grew more, so we could guide
the HaikuBook with the development and coding teams. The number of
development / coding teams would be the number of "chapters" of the
HaikuBook, so we could be in touch with a specific group when documentating
the different points of the Haiku-OS, and even if (due to copyright, a
so-much-better-implementation of some apps, etc.) they had to change some
names, procedures, formats and so on, we could catch them. I remember such
good ideas from the community to collect code and to format the book, but
the final vote was to wait.

In my opinion, the time to bring back the DocTeam is near, but it is not
yet. We have to have some apps to document, but we have to begin before the
apps are ready, because nobody will want to wait for us to release their
apps. The CVS / SVN structure is a good way to restart the planning, as it
is quite complete right now. But I guess you have the best opinion. What do
you think of nowadays?