[openbeos] Re: Haiku Compatible badge (again)

  • From: "Nigel Malthus" <malthi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 17:30:22 +1200 NZST

> Hi Simon,
>
> > I like 3b and 5b the best as well. This may be a bit cheeky but
> > could
> > you try them with the leaf fractionally larger to fill up the space
> > bit more and rotated clockwise so the stem of the leaf is pointing
> > the top left corner like the third leaf in the Haiku logo.
>
> Yeah, I will give it a try.
>
> > How do they look printed? That will be the acid test.
>
> Well. Ideally, they would look just the same. Why would they look
> different?

You can create hues in RGB which cannot be printed in standard CMYK
printing inks. Bright clear reds can be the worst affected; they just
go a bit dull.

This could be a factor with 1b and 5b. Opening them in Photoshop and
doing the CMYK conversion would give a fair indication of how they
would actually look in print, but I think any degradation will be
minor, and probably not worth worrying about in practice. I don't have
Photoshop at home so I can't do it myself, or not during the weekend.

Another point is that 2b and 3b could be printed with a single spot-
colour ink, which should be cheaper than full four-colour process - or
even black, which would be cheaper still. Would we want to allow that?
I'm mindful of the fact that we're only talking here of the logos we
want third party distros to carry on their packaging, but this is a
valid concern. It might be *their* money but its *our* image.

> > P.S. Does WonderBrush run on Haiku yet?
>
> I have fixed some last remaining bugs on WonderBrush 2.1. I just have
> not
> gotten around to do a BeBits release. This version works fine on
> Haiku.
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

BTW, nice work. I have no firm preference except not 1b. Three leaves =
too busy.
--
Nigel Malthus