[openbeos] Re: Haiku Browser (was Re: IDE Questions?)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:36:15 +0200

Hi,

Raymond C. Rodgers wrote (2007-06-18, 23:49:05 [+0200]):
> Themis itself, it's primary deficiencies at the moment are the lack of a
> rendering engine and CSS support. I never got around to adapting Axel's
> CSS parser, and those that had moved towards doing that moved on to
> other projects shortly afterwards... :/

Let's assume for a moment that you have the people with enough time and
talent to implement the perfect HTML/CSS/JS/whatever parsing and rendering
engine. The problem is that the majority of the websites out there consist of
broken code. Your browser will _have_ to swallow that. And not only that, but
it needs to render the pages the same as either Firefox or InternetExplorer.
And because there are so many pages out there, the writing of a *new*
parser/rendering engine is IMHO totally out of the question. You will never
be able to replicate the effort that already went into Firefox or WebKit in
terms of supporting broken pages. I know you didn't really mention a *new*
engine above, I just thought I point that out... :-)

I am all pro a native browser, with as tight an engine as possible. But the
engine needs to be reused from either Firefox or WebKit.

Best regards,
-Stephan