[openbeos] Haiku & 64-bit processors

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <obos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:26:55 -0700

I apologize if this topic has already been covered to death, but I couldn't find any reference to it. We all know that BeOS and Haiku have some pretty extensive support for 64-bit file sizes, integers, and other things, but BeOS was ultimately still at 32-bit OS. I think.

With the fact that 64-bit processors are out and on the market by both AMD and Intel, and undoubtedly in use by many people both on and off this list (including myself), I've been curious about Haiku's native 64-bit processor support, and compatibility. I know there are already build issues on 64-bit Linux which I've noticed are indeed being worked on, but I'm not aiming to discuss that.

What I am curious about is this: Are or will the various 64-bit instructions be supported in the kernel and libraries? I can only presume that when R1 rolls around, that -- following the trend on other operating systems -- there will have to be both 32 and 64 bit releases, correct?

Thanks,
Raymond

--
Raymond C. Rodgers