[haiku] HAIKU needs you!

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:55:31 -0400

Hello all,

We've two new contracts to announce (one for WebKit/WebPositive by
Adrien "PulkoMandy" Destugues and another for CPU scheduler related
improvements by Pawel "pdziepak" Dziepak).

The announcement is posted on the website at
https://www.haiku-os.org/news/2013-08-29_haiku_needs_you

Here's the full text, for convenience:

We have heard you. Other areas of Haiku need some loving. Though, we
need your contribution to make this awesome.

First and foremost, the package management contracts are going well
and are starting to wind down. Ingo is expected to finish his last
month within the next week. Oliver will have another 160 hours
(spread over two months). As for actual progress, as seen in Ingo's
recent blog post, it has been amazing. Hybrids are working (even
ground work is done for future possible x86_64 + x86-gcc4 + x86-gcc2
combinations!). Building and updating Haiku for new platforms (e.g.,
various ARM platforms) is easier for developers. The tool for
building ported software, haikuporter, is much more versatile,
functional and reduces complexities for porters. They have requested
wide spread testing of the HaikuPM images, in anticipation of
merging the changes back into master branch.
http://www.haiku-files.org/unsupported-builds/package-management-preview

On to current news -- two developers, Adrien "PulkoMandy" Destugues
and Pawel "pdziepak" Dziepak wish to have the opportunity to
dedicate full-time hours improving different aspects of Haiku. Adrien
plans to work on our port of WebKit and our native browser,
Webpositive. His first task will be to bring the Services Kit to
maturation, which was a former Google Summer of Code project. Pawel
desires to enhance CPU scheduler, with respect to utilizing caches
better, performance on HyperThread enabled processors and power-savvy
(as in wattage consumption) features. As of now, there are only
enough funds to provide each developer with a single month of
contractual development!

An interesting sidenote of these new development contracts is the
role that Google has already helped in making this possible.

You see, both developers are former Google Summer of Code students
who became project contributors. Adrien was a student in 2009 and
worked on the Locale Kit with mentoring by Oliver Tappe. Pawel
worked on the Network File System (NFSv4) client in 2012 with
François Revol as his mentor. In 2010 and 2011, Adrien even stepped
up to the role of mentoring other students. It is likely that neither
of them would be contributors if it were not for their involvement
through Google Summer of Code. Additionally, the donation made by
Google, Inc. in January of 2013 of $5,000 is being used to fund the
first month of each contract!

Adrien and Pawel's rates are €2000 EUR and $2500 USD per month
respectively. Pawel hopes to have a second month of contracting.
Adrien on the other hand, is hoping that everyone will lend their
support and provide him with the ability to renew his contract for
multiple months. The focus of Adrien's efforts can be revisited as
needed, but we expect there to be sufficent work on
WebKit/WebPositive for the immediate future.

We are asking you to come together with everyone and reaffirm,
"Yes, I support for-pay development on HAIKU!".

Afterall, Haiku is something that we are attached to. Our
contributors aim to provide you and all users with a refreshing
experience for personal computing. Haiku is an operating system
that is crafted with such dedication, care, and attention to detail.
This allows us to achieve a level of consistency that is truly
enjoyable to use. Simply put, using Haiku makes us feel good.

Your donations today will persist long into the future as
improvements in Haiku that everyone can enjoy.

Whether it is a single donation or a recurring monthly subscription,
it will help.

Give the amount that feels right for you. (Donate online)
http://www.haiku-inc.org/donations.html#online