[haiku] Re: Guide to running Haiku under VirtualBox

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:19:00 +0100

Hi,

Von: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ubuntu: reminding those of us who use it why we work on Haiku.
>
> The same could be sad for any other OS I used so far ;-)

<rant>
In many respects, Ubuntu is pretty cool and does a lot of things right. But for
an OS with that momentum, it does releases with surprisingly big fuck-ups. Like
the network manager not being able to remember static configurations. Or
session management being plain utterly broken. And these things simply do not
get fixed. Either you are lucky and they are fixed in the next release, or they
are not even fixed then, and other surprises may come up. I have the feeling
the only updates that releases ever receive are security updates. There is
seldomly anything that unbreaks major mishaps like that. From reading some bug
reports, even for bugs that affect a lot of users, Ubuntu does not have or is
not willing to spend any resources on getting certain problems fixed (complain
to upstream). I thought they have a real company and some developer resources
behind Ubuntu... maybe not so much anymore.
</rant>

Best regards,
-Stephan