[haiku] Re: Guide to running Haiku under VirtualBox

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 20:45:05 +0100 CET

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since VMware has been broken in my Ubuntu machine for some time, I
> might see about using VirtualBox instead. The conversion from image
> vdi could be added to the Jamfiles to make it very easy to do, though
> it won't be quite as nice as the VMware stuff since that can modify
> existing images.

VirtualBox can use the .vmdk images our build system creates directly,
without any problem (now that I fixed a few things for it a few months
back).

> Though maybe it would just be easier to try to get VMware working
> again. Could I ask what version of VMware others are using in Ubuntu?
> I am on Hardy (8.04 LTS) now but could upgrade to Intrepid (8.10) if
> that helped.

I had the very same problem with Ubuntu and VMware - it just stopped
working from one minute to the other (there was not even a reboot
necessary). Since I had no luck getting it to run again whatsoever, I
used VirtualBox from then on :-)
I now have openSUSE on that laptop, and VMware is running fine again.

> Ubuntu: reminding those of us who use it why we work on Haiku.

The same could be sad for any other OS I used so far ;-)

Bye,
   Axel.