[haiku] Re: Guide for Installation from CD

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:21:49 +0000

On 2009-09-10 at 03:53:12 [+0000], 2501 <gs2501@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your quick response!
> As a potential regular user(ex-BeOS user), I would like to see at least
> Firefox fully compatibel with either Flash or Gnash and network manager
> with the latest drivers. I know it sounds too much at this moment but I
> really would like to see Haiku to shine by itself, so somehow it must
> compete at least against Linux. To release an almost-finished version of
> Haiku would be consider "not-good" specially when Mac is attracting a lot
> of new users and of course, Windows continues to monopolize the rest of
> the computer world.
>
> I think that the browser should be finished and has to be included in the
> first 1.0 version when release.
>
> Just my 2 cents....good luck in your project. I hope everything goes well.

thanks for your input, we are painfully aware of these missing features and
capabilities. However, there are many arguments pro doing the (alpha, mind
you) release now, just as there are many arguments still against. We have
had a lot of discussion on this, and our consensus and the ballance we are
trying to strike among these arguments means we are going to release now.
One of the most important pro-arguments is that quite a few potential new
developers seem to be holding back until there is the first official
release, and we need the new blood, if we are to have any hope that the
missing features you pointed out will be tackled sooner rather than later.

Best regards,
-Stephan