[openbeos] Re: Google summer of code

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:36:38 -0400

Hi all!

Yes, I read slashdot, too. :-D I have a bunch of mails from individuals on this, so I will answer everyone at once. :-)
Yes, I plan on signing us up, if they will have us. Networking and USB were the two things that struck me as being the most critical. I have to write up some description of those things to submit. After that, maybe some driver porting (network drivers in particular) would be nice. Then some of the cool feature stuff that we would like for R2 would be cool, too.

Honestly, packet filtering is low on my list. Codecs, while they would be nice, are unlikely because of the patent and trade secret issues - the "easy pickings" are done, I think. Filesystems - while this would be cool, there are only a few that would be of interest (NTFS, ext3, maybe UFS, maybe Reiser). KHTML or something would be an R2 item. MAME is probably something best left in the hands of the very capable folks at BeEmulated. We will get the OS in a more POSIX compliant state, but I really don't want MAME (cool as it is) in our source tree. :-D

mmadia wrote:
Network stack (FreeBSD?)
Packet filter / firewall  (pf?)
Hardware port "completed" (PowerPC, something else?)
Filesystems
Media codecs

/Jonas.

USB Stack,
drivers,
drivers,
drivers,
archive formats that support BFS attributes,  7zip, tar/gz, bzip2, rar.
KHTML/WebCore,
Qt or other useful API bindings
reporting BeMAME to newest version,

can the summer of code include web design?