[openbeos] Re: Google Summer of Code Drive

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 23:44:52 +0100

On 2007-03-03 at 22:19:25 [+0100], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > IPv4 multicasting
> > > http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1077
> >
> > Hmm, this could be combined with zeroconf.
>
> Likely yes.
>

> > > GUI debugger (gdb frontend)
> > > http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1078
> >
> > I absolutely don't know how much work this means, but isn't that one
> > too big?
>
> Dunno, depends if gdb can provide a clean API or if we have to write an
> interactive command line parser to understand its replies to fill in
> the gui...

Let me put it this way: There is an internal API. Whether you find it clean
depends on whether you find aged/grown pseudo-OO C interfaces clean. Among
other things that means you'll need a while to get comfortable with it ...
er ... get used to it.

gdb is completely single-threaded. Besides minor problems (like that it
uses fork()+exec() to start a debugged program) the main challenge is to
match that concept with a multi-threaded GUI. I like the way bdb works with
respect to debugged threads -- i.e. simply having one window (and thus
debugger thread) per debugged thread -- but it might not be so easy to do
it in a similar way with gdb.

While I believe it should be possible to get something going in 3 months
(definitely a bdb clone), I also think, that it is a waste of time to do
that now. ATM you cannot really develop under Haiku itself, which means
you'll always have to cross-compile the app to test it, which adds
unnecessary turn-around times. Hence I'd postpone the task till development
under Haiku is possible.

> There are already several guis around it though, like DDD, which we can
> maybe reuse parts of.

It might at least be interesting to see how they interact with the gdb
interface.

CU, Ingo