[haiku] Re: Go Language.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:40:49 -0500

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OTOH, I don't like the syntax that much. But you can not win all the time. :)

That is my impression so far too. Though C, C++ and Java aren't really
the prettiest languages either and we have gotten used to them.

I will continue to play with Go (on Linux for now) and try to give it
a chance. So far besides the syntax I'm also not happy about how big
compiled programs are (I assume because they have to include the Go
runtime.) For example the simple hello world program on the main Go
homepage becomes a 569K executable on my Pentium M ThinkPad (compiled
with 8g and linked with 8l.) I suppose this could be fixed by having
the Go runtime as a shared library built into the OS.

--
Regards,
Ryan