[haiku] Re: Getting started

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:29:51 +0200

Hi,

Am 25.06.2014 04:24, schrieb Thomas Mueller:
I can create a Haiku BFS partition as type eb00.  It really needs
to run where the drive being partitioned has no mounted partitions.

Additionally to what others replied, just in case you thought it is important: The partition type is not used much for anything. Haiku pretty much ignores it and most other OSs (I use) do, too. Once they detect the FS contained in the partition, it seems to override the partition type bytes. When you boot Haiku off of a medium like USB and want to run the installer, just point it at the correct partition. It will initialize it with BFS and copy the files from the boot medium to it and make the partition bootable (by writing a boot loader into the first block of the partition). It won't touch anything else than the partition, unless you tell the installer to install the boot manager. This one may be too limited for your needs, so I would not recommend using it.

However, from what it looks, you seem to be using GPT, not MBR. That may not yet work properly. Haiku has some code for it, but I don't know whether that is complete enough to boot Haiku, or whether it is even included in nightly builds. Whoever knows or worked on it last could maybe chime in...

Best regards,
-Stephan